Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

This is our very first decent photo together as a family.  I'm sure anybody with kids under 3 would agree that it's nearly mission-impossible to have everyone, babies and adults, looking and smiling at the camera simultaneously.  But after numerous tries, we beat the odds and did it albeit a bit late as our Christmas photo cards were already sent.  Oh well...
Year 2010 has been a wonderful year.  I feel truly blessed and thankful for everything, especially for a healthy baby Saria and a loving family.  I will be the first to admit, having a full-time job together with raising 2 kids both under 2 is no easy task.  But Ryan and I have gradually gotten used to the rhythm, chaos and... occasional public embarrassment.  We have each other's back and we feel content just watching both kids learn and grow by the day.

At the beginning of 2010, Lucas was still very much a baby.  He could barely pull himself up and walk a step or two.  He could say "mama", "papa", "nai-nai" (milk), "wo-wo" (dog) but less than 20 words overall.  He could play with simple toys, like his musical table, but almost everything else were just teethers or junk getting moved in-and-out of his toy box.  By the end of the year, not only can the little munchkin walk, he can also run, jump, climb and walk up and down the stairs.   He jabbers all day long and imitates everything Ryan and I do and say -- He loves to hold up our cell phones and pretend to be talking; he likes to type on the laptop and pretend to be surfing the web.  He enjoys reading (especially those Dr. Seuss silly books) and story time with daddy or mommy every night before heading to bed.  He can accurately point out numerous food items, animals, colors and shapes on his word books and pickup new vocabularies through listening to us.  His favorite toys now are clipo blocks and legos after having mastered stackers, sorters, wooden puzzles, etc.  He loves music and often surprises us with funky moves here and there.   The list just goes on.  I wish I can record every single moment as I don't want to miss or forget any bit of my kid's growth.

Besides physical and cognitive development, I find it even more amazing to see Lucas taking after some of our personality traits and gradually evolving into an individual.  He definitely has mama's persistence, daddy's intelligence and our sense of humor.  I'm curious to see how Saria will turn out as she appears to be much more quiet and poise than Lucas was at the same age.  But one thing for sure -- Lucas loves and cares for baby Saria a lot.  He gently rocks the swing when she cries, meticulously wipes her drool with her bib, and generously shares everything with her, including his favorite binkie!



Tonight while we were at a friend's place to celebrate New Year's, Lucas came over to me and repeatedly said "Muimui" (little sister).  At first I thought he was just babbling again.  But then he started walking all over the house as if he was looking for something.  Then I realized he might be looking for Saria who fell asleep earlier and I had brought her into one of the bedrooms.  As soon as I showed him that his little sister was safe, he smiled with relief.  My heart melt.  What a sweet and touching moment to kickoff the new year!